Thursday, July 17, 2008

Toxic Pinnies...

The following entry was provided by Rodney as I have missed the last couple of days due to some excruciatingly slow-paced training. Kudos to the rest of you who have gone out and played. It's great to see the ol' BPUC thriving even when many of the regulars do not show up. Nice job Rodney, keeping everyody motivated.

Now, I will pass on some editorial comments which of course, border on gossip, as I did not actually see evidence of, or hear them first hand. As great a job as Rodney has done calling the games and getting people out there, apparently he should not be the one splitting the teams up. Some problem with the equitable dispersement of handlers yesterday I believe. However, after reading his blog entry, I'm willing to chalk it up to incoherency blamed on the toxic pinnies.

Also, by the way, if you all get the chance, wish a Happy Birthday to "Inky"...aka Hollan who celebrates that festive event today...the event is such a big deal to him that Sara had to remind him it was his birthday. At any rate, after a great afternoon (which bled into evening and finally just late night) of golf on the East Potomac with a few other Buzzards, I'm looking forward to getting back out onto the Ultimate field. Alas, it won't be today as I have a lunch engagement already so I'll see you all next week. Enjoy Rodney's post. Thanks "Wheels" for the submission.

- posted by Rodney

Too Little, Too Late

Too little too late (7/15/08)

So there we were the Buzzards had a good gathering on Monday and the weather was only going to get better the next day. Bill proclaims that was his only day to play this week due to classes, meetings, and of course RDO. So the email goes out at a respectable time and yeses start to trickle in. I got numerous NOs from the regulars, Todd with a bad hip and Phil not feeling well. Now this was to be the best weather day of the week with temps in the low 80’s, low humidity and lots of sun.

Well the weather forecasters got the weather correct and as 1100 approached the Buzzards were slim to none, but with an additional email solicitation we looked good.

So the game is called with what was supposed to be 8 which, but was really 7 (if only I knew how to count) and we only got 6. If I recall correctly the day prior we were all talking about how bad 3 on 3 sucks and we wouldn’t call a game for those numbers.

Well since it was such a nice day and we had 6 on the field we played a condensed field East – West instead of the normal North-South. Props go out to Matt P, Bob, Brook, Jason, Frank and Rodney. With the smaller sized field it was a quick paced good run!!!

Boy those pinnies stink!!!!

With the limited numbers the day prior I was almost afraid to send out the email. The weather for this day was forecasted to be a bit hotter and more humid, which they got correct two days in a row. The email goes out and within the first hour we had received seven replies. So I’m thinking well this might turn out to be an okay day. By 1000 we had nine and a strong possible and the game was called. Like the day prior there was lots of sun to be shared by all and the field was set and people showed up in what appeared to be hordes. We had Bridget, Kelly R (welcome back out after an extended absence), Carolyn, Kevin, Bob, Brian, Rodney, Leroy, Jason, Frank, Dennis, and Eli.

Since Bill wasn’t there I decided to try and fill his shoes and set up the teams and started handing out the pinnies which I could smell before I even got them out of the bag. I gave Leroy his green pinny and the look of disgust was apparent by the wrinkles on his forehead after smelling the nasty thing. So I became the smeller as well as the coordinator. After I was done I felt sick to my stomach and thought it might be time to heave prior to the first pull. With the teams set and after listening to everyone complain about the shirts the first pull was launched. It was a great game of 6 on 6 with a strong East – West breeze that had a few of us challenged with our throws. Thanks to everyone who came out and the pinnies came home with me for a cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment