Thursday, March 20, 2008

Finally...a dozen!

~ submitted by Bill

After about a week and a half of pretty nice weather but pretty sparse numbers (Travis & I got stuck on the short end of 2 on 3 game last week) we finally broke some people out of their offices yesterday…6 on 6!!!! It was upper 50’s, overcast, very light breeze…perfect day for Ultimate.

And the game was good. Seemed like a lot of running to me which you would normally think would be kind of the opposite when you have so many players. We may have been on a slightly smaller field yesterday also as we set up east to west instead of the normal north to south direction. Welcome to “the new guy”, Jay. Did anybody get contact info for him so I can add him to the distribution list? We were a man short yesterday on green when he came up to the field and asked to play.

I know the other team hated to tell him to put on a green pinnie because he was easily the tallest guy on the field when he walked on. And I know MattP would normally have been able to keep up with him but with his bad hammy, his vertical leaping is considerably hampered.

Speaking of leaping…did anybody catch Todd’s first few attempts at that yesterday? It was like he was hearing a different rhythm music than the rest of us and constantly going off the wrong foot. I think he mumbled some excuse about a volleyball tournament last weekend and a tender quad muscle but for those of us that are used to seeing Todd above our head, it was somewhat comical. He finally found his footing later on and was able to go up and grab a hammer throw from me in the end zone for an impressive score.

I mentioned Wings’ bad hammy…by the way if you saw that leg…it was ugly…but he managed to slip free for a couple scores that I noticed yesterday. Really not sure how that happened. He’s been studying Shadow’s elusive end zone camping apparently. The rest of gold managed some nice short passing drives yesterday. Swinny, Jason, MattC, Shadow & Hollan (who by the way I’m nicknaming “Ink” as soon as I get his ok…dude has some nice artwork) worked with Wings and gave them the edge for most of the game.

The green team of Todd, Bill, Bob, Travis, Conrad & Jay just couldn’t seem to get any consistency most of the game though they did figure out that offense was much easier when they were playing decent defense and made a few pretty good hustle plays for scores. But there were not a lot of long scoring drives for green yesterday.

March Madness begins today. The Buzzards have a friendly little pool going which, as of this writing has 7 participants, Scott, Todd, Ink, Bob, Swinny, Wings, & myself. I must say that for the most part the picks are fairly conservative. I’m in 3 different pools this year and there just aren’t a lot of upsets being picked. Now, I will mention that Swinny inexplicably has Wazzu (Washington St.) coming out of an East bracket where most of the smart money is either on Carolina or Tennessee, in fact the Buzzards were split on that one. And Bob has the bigger and crazier pick of Gonzaga coming out of the Midwest. But really, that may be the most open bracket and it wouldn’t surprise me to see one of a few teams emerge (not Gonzaga though). Our consensus pick was Kansas with Georgetown and Wisconsin also getting mention. The South also seems to be up for grabs even with a team (Memphis) with only 1 loss in that bracket. The Tigers were the consensus pick but not convincingly so with only 3 of us going that way. Two Buzzards picked Pittsburg to come out of that bracket and 2 others chose Texas. In the west though we unanimously chose UCLA as the Final 4 participant.

So right now, at 0634, there is still over 5 hours until tip off. You still have time to submit brackets.

Today’s forecast: This quote from the weather folks “A WIND ADVISORY MEANS THAT WIND GUSTS OF 45 MPH OR HIGHER ARE EXPECTED. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN MAKE DRIVING DIFFICULT... ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. USE EXTRA CAUTION.”

I don’t know if we have any “high profile vehicles” in our Ultimate club but I don’t know of any of us who can throw in 45 mph winds. We may take today off.

2 comments:

  1. Why is it that on days there are no Frisbee games and it's an awesome day out, none of you people will come play flag football? Frank, D’Orazio, Hollan, and I come play UF on a regular basis, even though we all are dedicated to football. I have even convinced Porter and Ahmad to come out, but they didn't care for UF and didn't come back. So what gives with not sharing the love? I give credit to the 3 who came out once b/c that was a great football game, but since that day...nothing. "It's sunny and nice out...we have no UF today...I think I will just sit in my cube...I love my cube." That is nuts! Are you worried you don't no how to play football, or you are not very good? Well I haven't been very good since, oh... say, FRESHMAN YEAR OF COLLEGE! You don't have to be good, or even know how to play. I didn't know how to throw a Frisbee straight before I started playing UF, but now I can throw a hammer (sometimes).
    I will admit that I don't even like UF, but it is something to do that is active, so I go do it. sometimes my incentive is the workout, sometimes it's needing out of the cube, and sometimes it's as simple as volunteering to be the 8th man so UF can have 4 vs. 4...just trying to help out... but football can seem to get that in return.

    Thanks for the love people...Frisbee sux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the complaining I did when I was 14 or 15 and was trying to get my buddie's little brother to give up his Dungeons & Dragons game and come out and play football so we'd have at least 3 on 3. I had to bribe him with my Farrah Fawcett poster. Never mind about how old that says I am now. D'Orazio does not come play Ultimate anymore and Frank's as much a Disc guy as a football guy (if his participation is any guage). I wasn't aware we had some contractual agreement to reciprocate but myself, Phil, Todd, & Bob have all been out to play Flag and using the "Porter & Ahmad" excuse...apparently just don't care for it.

    ReplyDelete