Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Back from the beach

Running on the Ultimate pitch and running through the sand and surf are two different things I abruptly discovered yesterday upon my return to D.C. after two weeks at the beach. Called a game yesterday even though the Buzzards Corporate team had a game later in the evening (more on that shortly). I was anxious to get back out and play after only having tossed a disc around on the beach for the last couple weeks.

Fortunately, others were suffering the long weekend, Monday recovery style of play that has become somewhat ordinary for us at the beginning of the week, dropped passes, a little less than full speed running (which is saying something for those of us who don’t normally find full speed very often anyway), and just a bit of rust.

Want to welcome back two old Buzzards to the nest though. Frank & MattC both got back yesterday. We hadn’t seen either in over a year I don’t think. Great to have you both back out there and it was “just like riding a bike” right? Matt said he’d let me know later about that…or have his wife call me if he went into cardiac arrest later on.

Somebody else that wanted to check back with me later was John after I came crashing down on his ankle on a nice end zone play where he made a great grab for a score as we both had gone up for the disc. “It’s okay” he reassured me…. “for now”.

“Later” turned out to be our Corporate League game at the Anacostia fields last night. We thought it might be a slim turnout with just enough to get by but it turned out that was true for the ERG team who only had 9 players show while we wound up having a big turnout with plenty of substitutes for both men and women. That did not translate however to the final outcome.

Kevin has his own account already posted so I’ll cede my time to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment