Friday, September 21, 2007

Kool-Aid, Liberal Arts, and the Yiddish Hammer Throw

So I was following one of the little news links on the blog this morning and it had a “Frisbee” timeline in the article. I was surprised to learn, that in 1984, there was actually somebody awarded a Bachelor’s degree in “Frisbee”…now this is significant in so many ways. First, how did I miss out on that degree program? I mean I could have been majoring in Frisbee instead of changing my major three times in three quarters in Blacksburg, Virginia while the only math I could master was how many parts Everclear can you add in the trashcan to a tub of powdered Grape Kool-Aid before you can actually taste the alcohol? And now….uh… let’s just say several years, 4 schools, and too many days without discs later, I have a degree in something only slightly less marketable than Frisbee…Liberal Arts.

Now marketability is way overrated for college majors and unless you’re that rare high school graduate who already has their career mapped out and it shuffling off through pre-something to become Dr. or Counselor so and so, I say why not Frisbee, Liberal Arts, Religion, Women’s Studies, or even…yes, Psychology? I mean it’s about how to learn, not necessarily what you learn which may or may not actually occur in the classrooms….

Alas, I digress…which as I read back through this is somewhat of an understatement. The Frisbee degree was obtained at Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts, itself a haven for the absurdly brilliant. I have a friend there now and she is majoring in something every mom or dad is excited to see next to the name, student ID, and “remit to” amount on the quarterly bill….Contemporary Yiddish influence on Marxism or something equally as wonderful though maybe not quite as extraordinary as Frisbee. By the way, Happy Birthday Kari!

So, you didn’t all think this blog was going to be solely about our games each day did you? I mean, especially when we didn’t even play yesterday and today’s prospects are looking dim. How is it that work and other “more important” obligations get in the way of a good disc game anyway?

I leave you with verse 2 and chorus of a favorite song of mine:

I went to see the doctor of philosophy
With a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to his knee
He never did marry or see a B-grade movie
He graded my performance, he said he could see through me
I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind, got my paper
And I was free.

I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains
I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain
There's more than one answer to these questions
pointing me in crooked line
The less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine.


Have a great weekend everybody!

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I've seen a Yiddish Hammer Throw (YHT) before, but not from the BPUC ... yet. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete