Monday, October 29, 2007

Spongy headers, collisions, & cranberry Mojitos

“Ah yea, this is going to be great today!” was the general consensus as the Buzzards walked across the spongy field today to get ready to play. Last week’s rain, which we had already played a great game playing in, had sufficiently soaked the field and made for a sloppy time.

Lined up next to some soccer game that actually looked like it might have meant something, we got ready to pull our own game (which always means something) into play. We presumed there were many on the soccer field who secretly wished to be playing with us. Even if we didn’t have banners and mascots. In fact when we wouldn’t pay attention to them they resorted to kicking a ball into the side of my bean. In two of the last 3 games, I have taken something upside my noggin’. Last week, Bob centered a disc in warm ups beautifully across my forehead. Today it was the European wannabes kicking that loony ball into me.

I was unimpressed and play barely stopped for us…except to get that crazy round ball off our field. I was, however, impressed today with a new excuse….

New guy: “Hey, my glasses have a scratch in them, that’s why I suck today?”
Bill: “Really? How many times have you been out here playing?”
FNG: “Uh, this is my first time.”
Bill: “Well, that’s a great excuse but you can’t come out here one time and expect to be Joe Ultimate”
FNG: “Well, I play football and I thought…”
Bill & Wings “Okay, stop right there….football, thinking…neither of those has any place on this Ultimate field”

So anyway, it was great to have Steve out and a couple of the other new(er) players out today. We didn’t exactly mean to put them all on the same team, the shirts just kind of worked out that way. Besides Sniper, quit whining, did you see Phil leaping into the next atmosphere today (new guy schmoo guy)?

Today, also marked “Return of the Carnage”. With many apologies to “Boom Boom”, we had more contact on the field today then we’ve had in the last month combined and none of it could be attributed to you. Chris & Steve had a couple collisions, hacks, slight pushes…uh, did we mention it’s a non-contact sport? The best one though was Wings barreling down on the disc, when out of nowhere, Brook appeared just in time to become part of the turf. I was calling it Ultimate Karma after Brook aka “Ginsu” had repeatedly chopped me in the arms and hands with the disc trying to back me away while I was marking him…I’m reading the rules later looking for clarification on that.

You know it’s been a good day on the field when Kash heads back to the locker room with that bicycle splatter up the back of his shirt. Mallard after having one of his best games last week when we was called out in the rain was conspicuously absent today…the guess…too many cranberry Mojitos this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment