Monday, March 9, 2009

Spring in the weather...if not in our steps

My return from spring break was greeted by an IM this morning from Bob…
“Welcome back, how was your trip?”

“Great! Looking forward to playing today though. How many snow games did you guys get in last week?”

“Not a one”

What? Buzzards, I’m disappointed. I was hoping to come back to many photos of frolicking in the snow to post on the blog.

Well, the snow is gone and in a big way with temperatures that hit the 80’s down in the 804 this weekend. Today was beautiful too and at game time it was 70 degrees and the only impediment was that the wind had kicked up some and was supposed to be gusting upwards toward 30 mph. No worries, we were headed out to play today.

Want to give a big Welcome Back to Conrad, one of our faithful regulars last year before he went down with an injury. It’s been a long rehab but it was good to see you buddy. He helped Gold team to a couple quick scores to start the game out today as they were hitting 3-4 passes in a row (always a good thing). Kevin, Phil & I filled in around him and things clicked well for a while. Then George showed up and I’m certainly not saying one thing had anything to do with the other but as happens more times than not out here the team with the extra man often forgets the intricacies of defense, like staying with your mark and we gave some scores back to the green team of Todd, Bob, Brook & Paul.

About midway through the game green picked up a 5th, Carlos. Welcome to the Buzzards Carlos. He said he was headed out for a run and saw we were “short” a player and decided to come over. Dude, we never have too many that you can’t stop and play, so come on out whenever you want.

Good way to start the week. Todd said he felt a little winded on the way back in and looked around hoping somebody else would agree with him. I explained that I had gotten in a 2-hour game yesterday in the mud so I had a kickstart to my Ultimate week. And maybe Todd was just feeling the effects of being hit on by Phil the entire game, elbow, jaw, whatever else.

When I got back to the desk, I had one of those moments akin to a teenager coming to ask for the keys to the car for the first time. Kevin was on the phone and asking if I could change the admin privileges on the blog so he could post. Stop me if this is sounding as dangerous to you as it did to me…currently still the only guy I know to be censored on the Office Communicator at work.

Alas, I gave in (that’s what we have insurance for right?) and Kevin, thank you for minding our family-friendly protocol in the nest. Great post too on the some rule clarification on the stall count. Which, by the way, I got called on for the first time ever yesterday in my pick up game so that was somewhat timely. Stall 7, stall 8, stall 9, “T…

No comments:

Post a Comment