Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Readying the ark...

Submitted by Bill

Long as I remember
The rain been comin' down.
Clouds of myst'ry pourin'
Confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages,
Tryin' to find the sun;
And I wonder, Still I wonder,
Who'll stop the rain.

You missed a great day yesterday if you didn’t come out. Sunny, mild and 6 on 5. We switched it up and played east to west on the north field yesterday. And it was fairly evenly matched 5 on 5 early in the game until Eric showed up and threw the balance of power over to the gold team. They worked a short passing game with surprising precision with Eric, Phil & Frank handling and finding Bob & Hollan with early-week speed in the end zones. Jorge back out for his 2nd game took a page from the MattC style guide for Ultimate, wore the bright yellow shirt and didn’t need a pinnie and then roamed the middle of the field making some nice grabs.

I liked my chances with green yesterday as any time I can have Todd & Eli throwing to me I know the chance are usually pretty good for getting some scores. Unfortunately, Thunder, Rodney & I couldn’t run under enough of them (re: we don’t run much to begin with). I think we each had our chances in the end zones and Todd and I managed to hook up on one nice floater early in the game but we just didn’t seem to get it quite in sync all game long.

Of course most of our offensive problems stemmed from lazy defense. Repeat after me everybody…”When you’re a man short, you have to come off the thrower and mark the cutter”… we all know this in our heads but transmitting that message to our feet was the problem yesterday and we got caught in a lot of short field circumstances where we were marking the thrower near the end zone and they just had to find the open cutter.

Well, it would be a really soggy game today. I’ve got my gear and I’m pondering sending out the email but the forecast has it coming down all day and it’s not exactly a warm rain….anybody else out there feeling ducky? Mallard? Where the heck are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment